Wed, Feb 15
Ch. 5, Democratic Regimes
Compose a true or false statement for the chapter section assigned to your group. We'll combine the five, group-authored statements to make a 10-point graded Exercise.
- 141-145: Defining Democracy; Origins of Democracy
- 145-150: Contemporary Democratization
- 150-157: Institutions of the Democratic State; Models of Democracy
- 161-169: Electoral Systems
- 158-161, 169, 172-173: Democratic Systems: Benefits and Drawbacks; Political Parties; Referendum and Initiative; Civil Rights and Civil Liberties
- Would we have democracy without the Greeks? The Romans? The English? Explain your answers.
- Which of the competing explanations for democratization make(s) the most sense to you, and why?
- What's the best democratic system? Why? Should the U.S. have a different democratic system? Why?
- What's the best electoral system? Why? Should the U.S. have a different electoral system? Why?
- How might choosing the "right" democratic and electoral system help to build a strong(er) state?
- Institutions in Action (170-171): What explains democratization in Asia?
- Questions and Methods (176-177): What is undermining democracy?