Mon, Feb 20
Ch. 7, Political Violence
- Explain the notion of "political violence" to someone who hasn't read this chapter. Include a supporting example or two.
- Do you find the presented explanations for why political violence occurs adequate (or convincing)? Explain your answer.
- Are revolutions a good thing? How so or why not? Under what circumstances could you imagine participating in one?
- How did reading this chapter expand or change what you previously understood or thought about terrorism? Be specific.
- Which of the discussed causes of terrorism—institutional, ideational, or individual—makes the most sense to you, and why?
- How should liberal democracies best respond to political violence? Connect your answer to the discussion on pp. 233-235.
- When is it okay for "a person" to engage in political violence? Is your answer different for yourself? Explain your answers.
- Answer the numbered questions in the "IiA" or "Q&M" box, then explain why should we care about the box's main question.
- Connect today's reading to the Conflict in Ethiopia video (linked below). Be specific.