Wed, Feb 22
Ch. 7, Political Violence
- How should liberal democracies best respond to political violence? Connect your answer to the discussion on pp. 233-235.
- Answer the numbered questions in the "IiA" or "Q&M" box, then explain why should we care about the box's main question.
- Connect today's reading to the Conflict in Ethiopia video (linked below). Be specific.
Ch. 8, Developed Democracies
- Is it better for a democracy to have more freedom and less equality or vice versa? Explain your reasoning.
- If you were tasked with turning a nondemocratic country into a democracracy, how would you do it? Why?
- What are the key benefits of living in a developed democracy? Which of these to you value most? Why?
- Is integration a good or a bad thing? Why? Support your answer with (actual or hypothetical) examples.
- Is devolution a good or a bad thing? Why? Support your answer with (actual or hypothetical) examples.
- How should democratic societies best address changing societal and economic institutions? Be specific.
- Locate something you find interesting on the European Union website and connect it to this chapter.
- Locate something you find interesting in Freedom in the World 2022 and connect it to this chapter.
- Connect this chapter to Chapter 5 (Democratic Regimes) in two or three different ways. Be specific.
- Cite the most useful things you learned from this chapter and, for each, explain what makes it so.