Fri, Mar 3
Ch. 10, Developing Countries
- In the space provided on the handout, briefly present a specific connection between the South Africa article and Chapter 10 in O'Neil's book. (This exercise is worth 10 points.)
- Connect O'Neil's discussion of "Puzzles and Prospects for Democracy and Development" to Kiva, Oxfam, and the SDGs. For each of the three, describe the actors involved, what they do, how so, and why.
- Ideally speaking, the primary goal of development is to improve the quality of life for people in developing countries. For each of the individuals listed below, forward a workable suggestion to help achieve that goal.
Assume the developing country is democratic or (successfully) transitioning to democracy, explain your reasoning for each suggestion, and clearly connect each suggestion to some specific chapter content.
- A poor individual living in a developing country
- A business owner living in a developing country
- A community leader living in a developing country
- A government official living in a developing country
- A college student living in a developing country