Wed, Jan 25
Ch. 1, Preliminary Concepts: Networks and Data
- What are the key terms, arguments, and ideas in this chapter? Which are most important? Why?
- Which of these key terms, arguments, and ideas did you find most interesting? Why (or how so)?
- What new things did you learn from this chapter? How did your thinking change (or why didn't it)?
- In what specific ways did this chapter help you better understand (a) politics and (b) the Internet?
- Is it possible to objectively study or understand the Internet? Does this matter? Why or why not?
- What do we need to know (or learn) from this chapter, and why? What can we ignore, and why?
- Pp. 5-8 (Networks and Their Value; Power: Networks versus Hierarchies)
- Pp. 8-12 (Fragmentation; Many Internets in One)
- Pp. 12-18 (Data versus Information)
- Pp. 18-23 (Power: Data; The Internet's Social Influence: Digital Modernity)