Wed, Feb 1
The Vision of the Open Internet
- On balance, do you (personally) think "the vision of the open Internet" has turned out to be a good thing or a bad thing? Justify your response and include supporting examples.
- Who was John Perry Barlow? Cite some specific ways in which his Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace is reflected in how today's Internet works and what it does.
- Should we continue to support the Internet's openness principle? What might be one or two ways that we could help to ensure an "open" Internet, going forward? Be specific.
- What are the key pros and cons of an open, decentralized Internet? Offer a workable suggestion to help the Internet (continue) develop(ing) in the direction you'd like it to go.
- Which of the five ideals in Figure 4.1 (on page 58) do you consider most important, and why? Frame your response in terms of your personal values, experience, and worldview.
Visit the Electronic Frontier Foundation, Fight for the Future, or the Free Software Foundation. Assess the organization's work in light of today's reading and explain how it impacts your own use of the Internet.